Sunday, September 15, 2013

Descriptive web text


The community I have chosen for my ethnography is an area that almost every student at the University of Kentucky should be familiar with. Commonwealth Stadium on the south side of campus is home of the Kentucky Wildcats football team, and this team draws thousands of people in many different cultures and meshes them all together in one roaring stadium. For me this area makes me reminisce on my high school football days the ones I miss so dearly, but for this being my first college football game I have ever attended it adds a whole new aspect for me. I’m used to being in the games and participating, not standing in the stands with all of my fellow college students screaming until we are breathless and doing our little chants and motions for either a first down or a defensive stop. My first college game was against UKs biggest rival the Louisville Cardinals; which was perfect for my research. Walking to the game there are thousands of people in the parking lot which tables, tents, buses, and unreal amount of food and beverages. One tent could be one of the UK fraternities with tons of college students, the next could be the tent of a family who maybe attended UK and have been diehard fans their entire life and wouldn’t miss a single game. But then you also see tents for the rival teams and that throws a whole new culture into the mix especially when they wear that atrocious color red with that stupid little bird on the front. Sitting in the stands in where you can see all the cultures collide into one exciting sight to see. From where I am located I can look down on the field and see the eighty some odd players for each team along with the coaches who are playing or participating in the game. To my right there are future recruits and their families who are there to watch a game and maybe decide to commit to the university to play. Down the sidelines from them at the opposite side of the field from me there is a section of red shirts, the enemy cardinal students who of course are far in superior to us UK students. Directly across the field from me are where your normal ticketholders sit. Anywhere from parents of students to alumni from previous years. I distinctly remember a family of four; a father, mother, and two small children just old enough to start to begin to understand the sport of football. The father was in a UK shirt, and visor; the daughter and son were wearing UK shirts as well and the mother had just bought them each a foam finger and from where I was I could see the excitement on their faces as they put the blue foam finger on their hands and stand up flail around to show it off. One can get a good idea of a person or family by watching their actions and expressions, which isn’t always write for the record. The impression I received from this family in particular was that the husband and wife had most likely attended the University of Kentucky and may have even met at the college and went on to have kids and whatnot. They were most likely fans of the college even after graduating and now that their kids are old enough they are hoping to start a tradition with the college and take their kids to the games and if all goes well maybe they will follow in their footsteps and hopefully keep the tradition going on to the next generation. Then you reach the student section, my section, the section that is most into the game and every play and call made. We have our own little chants and motions for small and big things that our home team can do. If you take a look around you can see anyone from frat guys to sorority girls, players from other sports like volleyball and basketball. It’s easy to tell the people like myself who have a past experience in this sport, coming to these games gives you a little bit of the feeling that you get when it’s a Friday night football game. It connects you to this event more and more each time you go, honestly after that one game that I attended I don’t think I will miss a single game for the rest of my college career. This just shows the many different cultures that clash together in the one single stadium and all want to see the Cats be victorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment